Sunday, July 26, 2026

Thrift Shop Junk Wax - Part One

My daughter recently texted me from work (she works at a small thrift shop) asking if I wanted some baseball cards. She sent these pictures:



There was a binder and shoebox full. I could tell right away that they were probably all going to be junk wax, so I said "Yes, I'll take them if less than ten dollars".  She said she'd check.

A bit later she got back with me, they sold them to her for a buck!
When she was getting ready to come home for the day someone had found another stack of about 50 loose pages full of cards, so they just gave them to her.

There might not be much there but it sure will be fun going through them.

Today we'll start with the binder.


Typical kids binder of the 90's covered in 1991 Upper Deck stickers.


One strange section of the binder had a half-dozen or so pages with 1992 Upper Deck cards in backwards.
I guess he liked the backs better than the fronts.

I think maybe this binder had been stored in a hot attic or garage for a while because
the 9-pocket pages were starting to break down and were very sticky and grimy, with some sticking together. Also, some of the pockets had 3+ cards crammed in so I decided I would tear this binder down and get rid of it and the pages.

After tearing down a dozen or so pages I'd have to go wash my hands before doing any more.
The sheets were pretty nasty.
The cards were fine, some a bit worn, but in decent shape over all.

Here's an overhead of the binder contents:


As expected, the majority was 1990 Topps, 1990 Fleer, and 1991/1992 Upper Deck.

Another thing I noted was that many pages had empty slots so I have to assume someone already pulled out what they thought were maybe the more "valuable", or maybe sentimental, cards.

Some of the more notable cards found:


A couple of gently worn Griffey rookie cups.


Some early 90's inserts and some PC guys.


The Greenwell is a Hockey Sticks Hologram Variation (Yes, I checked all the holograms!)
Some Company Store white backs which I collect.
The Kelloggs Spahn is pretty sticky too so I put it in a penny sleeve.


Probably what I was most excited to find was this Nolan Ryan ticket stub from April 8, 1991.

Ryan went 7 innings with 9 strikeouts but gave up 5 runs and lost 5-4.
He gave up a home run to Robin Yount in the 5th.


And I think I found the original owner of the binder, a local kid.
His personal info is on the back so I won't share that, but the card on the left is him in 1991 and the right 1994.


Next up will be the shoe box contents.



1 comment: